Fanimaids Only BBS

Where official maids of Fanimaid Cafe discuss and mingle.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Removed topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Resa chiic
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Removed topic   Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:28 pm

N/A

Last edited by airanimechiic on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.resachiic.com
midori
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Removed topic   Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:54 am

hmm... I'm all for pulling together from what you already have (I'm making my costume almost entirely out of found/rediscovered fabric as well!) but I think that since we're trying to do our best I think that we shouldn't just consider the shape and color of the dresses, but also the materials. If I was at a maid cafe and I noticed my maid's dress was composed of every day clothing like a T-shirt paired with a skirt, I'd feel a little let down! Additionally, to us altering a dress doesn't seem like a big deal, but if you've never sewn before it can be a real challenge. Depending on the alterations, it can be even harder than sewing the dress from scratch!

However, even if you don't have everything in your closet already, I'm sure that anyone could find a black dress and/or white T-shirt that does the job for cheap at thrift stores with a little thrift store hunting, and sewing an apron is definitely a beginners job (I think Penko will be giving instructions in the near future; with some white fabric and ruffle trim, you really could baste everything in and then forget about it.)

I think above all we should keep in mind that our maid uniforms are supposed to be kinda formal, so fabrics like T-shirt jersey, etc should be avoided. Look for fabrics that you would see people wearing at a formal dance!

Granted, I have as little maid experience as you, but this is just my personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
TiffanyF
Maid Cafe Staff
Maid Cafe Staff

PostSubject: Re: Removed topic   Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:13 am

I think you two have some great points. Here are my opinions from "pulling things together from the closet":

First of all, for Fanimaid Cafe or Maid Cafes in general, you want to look professional looking.

So that means, oh, I just took my cooking apron and black clothes to make it look like a maid outift looks more cheap and it would make you appear not professional. Instead you can tell just by looking that there was no funds that went into the uniform.

For example: The outfit on the left looks ok, needs a bit more work, maybe instead of folding the apron, sew a hem on it or lace, but the one on the left obviously looks like it was put together with a bunch of things from your closet and wouldn't suit the formal and professional theme at the maid cafe.

Second, the material for your maid outfit is actually quite important. Certain materials actually make everything look cheap or tacky and sometimes makes it look more like a sketchy sexy maid outfit than a professional one. In the past I have seen girls with satin aprons. Whats wrong with satin? It looks like you're going to prom or you're trying to look sassy. Which isn't bad when its like the ball or some nice dinner... but since this is a family friendly cafe, you want to preferably avoid the satin, and go with cotton or polyester (poplin). Also material that is used for things like t-shirts or polo shirts or stretchy fabric used for dance/swim clothes do not fit in the setting.

Lastly is the "accessories". The chest part can be a mini tie but its safer to go with a ribbon. This part can be satin since its an accent, not the main uniform. It can be a thin ribbon, a big bow, etc. The one of the right would not fit because it looks more like a church setting or like a nun. (The outfit itself reminds me more of a nun than a maid)

So what are great examples of pulling things together? I've seen a few from the years I have worked at the cafe. What shirt can you use instead of a t-shirt is a nice white blouse. And I'm not talking about a white shirt that looks like it should be with a men's business suit, but maybe ones with a puff sleeve or ones that has frills. Then next, you can find maybe a black dress with no sleeves (not thin straps but the thick not really straps but it just looks like the sleeve isn't there... how do I even explain that.. @_@) that is the length you want. Then you can use a cute waist apron or make one that isn't too hard to make.

So ok, you can pull together things if you wanted to, and it can work out. However, it takes much effort and in the end, if you don't have all of the components, you still have to make/buy more things. It might end up cheap, it might end up actually pricier... Nowadays, there are maid outfits that are not that expensive but are decent looking. So unless you have everything in your closet or you're willing to put in a little more effort, I actually suggest just going to buy a maid outfit so you don't run into more difficult problems.

Hope all of this helped!
Back to top Go down
http://com.nicovideo.jp/community/co370509
Resa chiic
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Removed topic   Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:54 am

Definitely thanks to both of you! Is it alright for me to add both your information to the first post?
TiffanyF wrote:
Second, the material for your maid outfit is actually quite important. Certain materials actually make everything look cheap or tacky and sometimes makes it look more like a sketchy sexy maid outfit than a professional one. In the past I have seen girls with satin aprons. Whats wrong with satin? It looks like you're going to prom or you're trying to look sassy. Which isn't bad when its like the ball or some nice dinner... but since this is a family friendly cafe, you want to preferably avoid the satin, and go with cotton or polyester (poplin). Also material that is used for things like t-shirts or polo shirts or stretchy fabric used for dance/swim clothes do not fit in the setting.
Along with satin, what are other no-no fabrics? For example silk, muslin, nylon, corduroy, fishnet, fleece, khaki, velvet, etc (I'm also going to assume fur, wool, and other woven animal fabrics are really bad ideas).
Back to top Go down
http://www.resachiic.com
Chihiro
Head Maid
Head Maid

PostSubject: Re: Removed topic   Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:00 am

airanimechiic wrote:
Along with satin, what are other no-no fabrics? For example silk, muslin, nylon, corduroy, fishnet, fleece, khaki, velvet, etc (I'm also going to assume fur, wool, and other woven animal fabrics are really bad ideas).
You named it, friend! Go with your best judgement when it comes to fabrics too--it's always helpful to study into what Akiba maid uniforms look like. If you plan on putting together your own, or creating one, a way to decide what fabrics to use are to judge what looks good on current popular maid uniforms.
If, for some weird circumstance, corduroy and fur uniforms were the hot craze.. It would be acceptable.
But looking at current Akiba maid uniforms, it follows the professional fabrics policy.. Fabrics are solid (not see through), matte, solid colored, non-textured.
For example:

Fabrics like satin or velvet are limited to trimmings and accessories. Hope this helps Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removed topic   

Back to top Go down

Removed topic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1