Fanimaids Only BBS

Where official maids of Fanimaid Cafe discuss and mingle.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Maid Dress Tutorial! [very basic]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Maid Dress Tutorial! [very basic]   Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:15 pm

Hey, goilies! Welcome to

*¤]´)÷¤ 。◕‿◕。 PENKO'S MAID DRESS TUTORIAL YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA 。◕‿◕。 ¤÷(`[¤*

YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA!

This is a tutorial for the VERY SIMPLE, SUPER BASIC maid dress that you see pictured above! My taste runs very simple. The whole reason I even made my dress at all last year was because I could not find a dress simple enough. At least not on any websites I trusted!

♥ ☠ MATERIALS ♥ ☠:

• Black fabric (or, if this isn't for Fanimaid, whatever color you want your dress to be) - Choose something sturdy, not too thin, and moderately stretchy. I chose my black fabric from the suiting section at Joann's.
    I wear anything from a XS - M and I got 4 yd for myself. I might have been able to get away with 3, but I like to get a ton of extra in case I mess up.
  • White fabric - This is for the apron. It must be white, YOU DON'T HAVE A CHOICE! (Well.. okay obviously you can do what you want. But I think aprons should be white!!!). Again, choose something sturdy and NON-STRETCHY! Last year, I chose this satiny thing from the bridal section at Joann's. It worked out really well, except it frayed a lot...
    This year, to go with my plain jane goal, I chose a matte cotton from the shirting section at Joann's. Get at least two yards, more if you expect to screw up.
  • Black and white thread or whatever color to match your fabric
  • Two kinds of bias tape - You will want at least 4 yd of 2-inch wide bias tape to match your apron fabric. Usually, you have a choice between satiny or ..not satiny. You will also want at least 1 yard of 3/4-inch wide bias tape to match the collar of your dress.
  • Fabric for your collar - Get 3/4 of a yard of matte cotton fabric.
  • Butcher paper or wrapping waper - for making patterns
  • Markers, chalk, etc - For marking fabric and paper
  • Seam ripper - for when you screw up
  • Scissors - You will save yourself a lot of grief by getting a pair of nice sharp scissors for FABRIC ONLY!
  • Measuring tape and ruler - I found my transparent grid ruler to be SUPER useful for pattern making
  • YOUR MEASUREMENTS!! - Here's a handy picture!
    !
    You will need pretty much every measurement on here EXCEPT hips and neck depth. Strip down to your undies or light undershirt and get a friend to take these measurements for you. It is more accurate that way ~
    For posterity (in case that picture goes away), the measurements are:
    -back length
    -back width
    -sleeve length (Most of y'all will want short sleeves)
    -bust
    -bust separation
    -waist
    -dress length
    -bicep

$$$ TIP: The best way to save money is to start planning ahead. Do not DO NOT do not go to Joann's to buy this stuff UNLESS you have at least a 50% or 60% off coupon! I went during a super sale in March with a 50% off one item, 60% off anther item, and 15% off total purchase including sale items. I was able to get all of my maid materials for under 50, including two new pairs of scissors. Joann's also accepts competitors coupons.  I probably could have gotten a bigger discount, but I'm not that good at couponing myself.

I don't think I used any coupons last year, besides their perpetual 40% off one. I would not be surprised if I spent over a hundred on that dress up there e___e

If you aren't shopping at Joann's, this advice may still apply if your store accepts competitor's coupons!

✿ ✩ PREREQUISITES ✿ ✩
I highly, highly, highly recommend you know how to use a sewing machine. It is just so much easier and faster. If you have access to a sewing machine but are intimidated by it or do not want to learn, this project might not be for you. Making a maid dress is a lot harder than learning to use a sewing machine, imo.

If you don't have access to a machine OR you really enjoy long, arduous projects, then have at it! I'm not your mom!

I also recommend that you are at least an intermediate level seamstress, though I won't discourage you if you want to try as a beginner. I was pretty much a beginner myself last year. All I had made at that point was a few pouches and a half dozen shabby rave outfits. I messed up ONE MILLION TIMES while making my maid dress and had to redo almost every part, but I learned a lot in the process and had a lot of fun (and tears)!

If you want to attempt this as a beginner, do not be afraid of hard work or mistakes!!

•·.·´¯`·.·•FINAL MESSAGE TO ALL:•·.·´¯`·.·•
I am not pretending to be an expert at this AT ALL. AT ALL! I just want to share my experience and knowledge. If you read this tutorial and know a better/easier way to do it, or know that I'm doing something wrong, please post! I'll incorporate your knowledge into the tutorial. If we work together, we can make a SUPER USEFUl extra boss reference for future girls to use :3

Last edited by Penko on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Maid Dress Tutorial! [very basic]   Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:16 pm

•·.·´¯`·.·• Reserved for Bodice Tutorial •·.·´¯`·.·•
Back to top Go down
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Maid Dress Tutorial! [very basic]   Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:17 pm