Fanimaids Only BBS

Where official maids of Fanimaid Cafe discuss and mingle.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:15 pm

Just curious ~ <: I'm making another dress this year and I thought about filming the process to make a tutorial, but I realized it would end up being at least 7 videos and just WAY too much work (especially if I need to finish my dress by Fanime!!)

I might be able to just take pictures and write a giant thing about it, though!! I would do it in steps and post it on the forums. It might not be of any use to anyone this year.. especially since the dress approval is due today. Maybe for future years? Or if anybody is just interested in the process in general?
Back to top Go down
Keiko
Maid Cafe Staff
Maid Cafe Staff

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Do it! If you're making another dress and willing to take pictures anyway I think you might as well Very Happy

I'm actually most interested in your choice of fabric, where you got it from, and what you draw your inspiration from when deciding designs owo;

But no seriously lol I think it'd be a great thing to have, for future refence. Thank you for even offering!
Back to top Go down
http://nom-nom-keiko.tumblr.com
midori
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:06 pm

That would be cool! I'd love to see how to make new kinds of maid dresses. By the way... I'm making my own dress too and I'm winging it without a pattern. The whole thing seems pretty straight forward, except I can't figure out what shape I should cut out for the shoulder frills. Nothing I do is making the right shape. Could you give me some tips on that?
Back to top Go down
Ling
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Whoa, that would be really awesome to see! I know that there are some girls who like to make alterations to their dresses after getting them in the mail, so a tutorial like this could help them too.
Back to top Go down
http://tsven.tumblr.com
Bunnie
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Can you post a picture of what your outfit was last year?! I would love to see it!

AND
I think it would be a great idea to post a tutorial! I would definitely love to try to make my own dress next year or for future maid cafes ^___^
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/jjackieelynn
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:39 pm

COOL, interest! :V

I'll answer questions so far, but I'll definitely start a different thread for the tutorial.

Fabric: I am not sure what my fabric actually is, but I got it in the suiting section at Joann's. I purposefully chose something sturdy and with a tiny bit of stretch. If I had to guess, probably mostly if not all polyester? idk bro. For my apron last year, I got a satiny thing from the bridal section. This time, I have slightly transparent cotton from the shirting section.

Puffy Sleeves: You'll want a shape like this. To make this pattern, you'll want to draw this shape on a piece of paper. The bottom length will be your arm circumference, and the curve at the top will be the circumference of your armpit hole. Then, cut some long ass slits into it from the top and sorta fan it open over another piece of paper. Tape it down and trace it! You'll get more length in the top, but your arm circumference will stay the same... does that make sense? Then you have extra material at the shoulder to ruffle.

You can also just eyeball it but idk, I don't like eyeballing sleeves cause it's hard to fix an armpit hole that's too small. I CANT STAND TOO-SMALL ARMPIT HOLES!! (lol what are those holes actually called?)

My dress last year/design inspiration:

Sorry lol it's sideways cause I'm a trashbag. I got that bunny from the Artist Alley to cover up a peanut butter stain guhuhuhuhahahha. It also used to have a big maroon bow to match my persocom ears, but I removed the bow when I wore this for Halloween. So now it's extra plain.

I like really simple maid dresses the best, Like super super simple, with a HUGE fluffy petticoat (petticoat is missing from this picture). Pretty much the only reason I bothered to make my dress last year was because I couldn't find a simple enough dress from Bodyline. NOT knocking ornate dresses at all, I think tons of ribbons and lace is really cute too! But as a personal challenge, I kinda like to see how simple and actually maid-ey I can make the dress while still keeping it extra super kawaii. (What I've learned is that the petticoat makes up 70% of the kawaii).

This year, I am gonna do pretty much exactly the same dress, but with improvements. I MIGHT change the apron up a bit. Again, I prefer simple, so I'd totally wear this dress again if I could... but it has fake blood stains that I can't get out (again, from Halloween). And I messed up the peterpan collar last year, I wanna make a better one this year.

I know people like more frills and stuff, so that's totally cool with me. When I make the tutorial, I'll try to identify good places to add more pizzazz. :3
Back to top Go down
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:46 pm

OH MAN and here is the youtube video I made of the dress, if you wanna see it in action! I got in the habit of making a video of whatever costume/sewing thing I work on for Fanime every year. Do me a favor and turn off the audio lol
Back to top Go down
Bunnie
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?   Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:12 pm

First of all... I LOVE YOUR LITTLE BUNNY THING ON YOUR APRON! Soooooo cute ╰( ̄▽ ̄)╭ I'm planning to make some sort of patch thing of a rabbit for my apron ^_____^
and your video looks cute! I will watch it later lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/jjackieelynn
Resa chiic
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?   Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:11 pm

oops! i should've replied to this post instead xD
Anyways, can you make a tutorial on a maid dress thats "pulled from stock"? I'm planning on doing that, but feel like I haven't enough experience to make a tutorial myself
Back to top Go down
http://www.resachiic.com
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?   Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:22 pm

airanimechiic wrote:
oops! i should've replied to this post instead xD
Anyways, can you make a tutorial on a maid dress thats "pulled from stock"? I'm planning on doing that, but feel like I haven't enough experience to make a tutorial myself

You should just do it!! DO IT!

I definitely don't have the exp to make a maid dress tutorial from scratch, but I'm doing it anyway hahahah. I literally just figured out I've been doing my zippers wrong and I was like smdh why am I making a tutorial.
I probably won't finish mine til summer, but it's okay cause no one will be able to use it for this year anyway. :3

I think your tutorial will be a lot more useful to people. It sounds cheaper haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?   

Back to top Go down

Would anyone be interested in a Maid Dress Tutorial?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1