Fanimaids Only BBS

Where official maids of Fanimaid Cafe discuss and mingle.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Have any of you guys ever tried making your own maid outfits?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Have any of you guys ever tried making your own maid outfits?   Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:57 pm

I'm thinking about doing it now, just because I can't find any I like for a price that I like and I'm too scared that it'll end up being made out of a janky material.

I've made a couple dresses and a bunch of zip-up hoodies, but I've never made a maid dress before. BUT, I dropped a couple of my cosplays this year, so I think I have the time to make my first one as long as I do research first.

Has anyone here ever done it/do you guys have any resources for doing it? I would LOVE a really simple maid uniform pattern, but it doesn't seem like there is one floating around the web. Currently, I'm thinking about ordering a cheap ass maid dress from ebay and deconstructing it to make a pattern.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Nao
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Have any of you guys ever tried making your own maid outfits?   Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:43 pm

What kind of aesthetic are you going for? Depending on the type of dress you're aiming for, you might not need an actual pattern, especially since you have some experience.

I made a maid uniform last year with the help of a friend. We designed a very simple, classic style uniform, so we more or less made it up ourselves. For the dress itself, we used a general pattern for a fitted top (and made the sleeves larger so they would be poofy) and attached a circle skirt to allow for a petti underneath. The apron was easy to wing because there was no upper part, only a half-circle over the skirt attached to a wide belt and shoulder straps.
Back to top Go down
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Have any of you guys ever tried making your own maid outfits?   Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:55 pm

I'm going for something super simple, probably. Since I'm saving money by making it, I thought I could splurge on some really nice fabric. So something simple in nice fabric would be nice (x

I'd love something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sexy-Halloween-Costumes-French-Maid-Lolita-Princess-Cosplay-Fancy-Dress-Uniform-/180998474372?pt=US_Costumes&hash=item2a24598a84

ALTHOUGH, I have sorta been eyeballing this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Girl-uniform-Cosplay-party-lolita-Costume-Sexy-Dress-Ruffle-Maid-Outfit-6-12-/221197070126?pt=US_Costumes&var=&hash=item33805f6f2e
And that goes completely against what I just said cause it's not simple at all hahahah

In either case, I think at the very least I'd like a reference dress or something at hand 3: I have some experience but I jsut REALLY don't wanna frak it up ;A; AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I feel like you're probably right though, I probably know enough to make the simple one at least, I'm just being a weenie. HHNNNNGH.

Are there any fabrics in particular that I should choose/consider for a maid uniform?
Back to top Go down
Chihiro
Head Maid
Head Maid

PostSubject: Re: Have any of you guys ever tried making your own maid outfits?   Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:23 am

Penko wrote:

I'd love something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sexy-Halloween-Costumes-French-Maid-Lolita-Princess-Cosplay-Fancy-Dress-Uniform-/180998474372?pt=US_Costumes&hash=item2a24598a84
I purchased this as my first uniform and it's very good to work with when doing alterations! However the skirt is p long (that or i'm p short.. 5' )
http://fanimaid.forumotions.net/t335-wts-uniform-cheapo-manga-posters-shojo-beat-handcrafts

It's cute by itself (asami has pics) but if you get it, it's easy to alter c:
Back to top Go down
Ayumi
Maid Cafe Staff
Maid Cafe Staff

PostSubject: Re: Have any of you guys ever tried making your own maid outfits?   Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Cherry is a veteran maid who makes her own maid uniforms and they are amazing! Though I am not sure if she is returning this year, haven't heard from her.. :\. I believe that Tiffany also gets help from her mother designing her maid uniforms and other cosplay outfits, so you might wanna ask her for tips.

As for your links, I think Chihiro and I both have that uniform in the first link hehe.. I wanted a simple one too when I started, and I still think it is perfect! Worst case scenario, if your uniform-making conquest is a bust, you can borrow mine :]
Back to top Go down
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Have any of you guys ever tried making your own maid outfits?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Chihiro wrote:
Penko wrote:

I purchased this as my first uniform and it's very good to work with when doing alterations! However the skirt is p long (that or i'm p short.. 5' )
http://fanimaid.forumotions.net/t335-wts-uniform-cheapo-manga-posters-shojo-beat-handcrafts

It's cute by itself (asami has pics) but if you get it, it's easy to alter c:

Thank you so much! We're the same height! wahahahaha
I think I have more or less decided to just wing it on my own, but thank you so much!

Ayumi wrote:
Cherry is a veteran maid who makes her own maid uniforms and they are amazing! Though I am not sure if she is returning this year, haven't heard from her.. :\. I believe that Tiffany also gets help from her mother designing her maid uniforms and other cosplay outfits, so you might wanna ask her for tips.

As for your links, I think Chihiro and I both have that uniform in the first link hehe.. I wanted a simple one too when I started, and I still think it is perfect! Worst case scenario, if your uniform-making conquest is a bust, you can borrow mine :]

Thank you!! That's super sweet of you! I may take you up on that if my dress turns out to be a total disaster hhwahaa D:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have any of you guys ever tried making your own maid outfits?   

Back to top Go down

Have any of you guys ever tried making your own maid outfits?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1