Fanimaids Only BBS

Where official maids of Fanimaid Cafe discuss and mingle.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
thuggdere
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:09 pm

So before I say anything at all regarding Maid Outfits, I'd like to point out that I am not in any way, shape, or form trying to tell you girls the "Correct" way to wear what you like. If you like it, you like it. I'm merely posting this to help those who are having a hard time choosing or are just worried about what might and might not look good on them.
With that said, I am also not a typical built Filipina/Asian woman. I am very cury and in the previous years as a Fanimaid have had to find Maid Outfits that compliment my body type. Or I alter it as such to fit me.

OH. THAT'S RIGHT.

You should never fit into your Clothing or Cosplay, you make the Clothing or Cosplay fit to you.

Ohai guise this is me:

See? IGNORE MY POSE LOL
This is probably one of the best pics I could find to point out that I ain't tiny, far from petite, and well I'm curvy.
Also, I'm not fair skinned either.
And I'm ok with that. Very Happy

Me FaniMaid 2010

So, my Maid Outfit in 2010 was really last minute and a plan b choice considering the express shipping etc.
That maid outfit [imo] didn't flatter my figure and I had no time to fix it as such. The high collar of the outfit brought more attention to my round face, but I suppose considering the long wig I was wearing it sort of balanced out. ALSO PRO TIP: WEAR TIGHTS/STOCKINGS GIRLS, ALWAYS. I'm not a fan of the poofy sleeves either since also again brings too much attention to my upper half.

Me FaniMaid 2011

My Maid Outfit here fits me a lot better than my 2010 one. To down-play the round-ness of my face I went for a maid outfit that exposed my neck and collarbone. Or in other words a maid outfit with either a square neckline, boat, or scoop will flatter girls with short necks or girls with a round face like me. [heart shapes too]
I also wasn't enjoying the full apron from the 2010 maid outfit and opted out for a waist apron which compliments my waist. You need to play with where the white is placed on the maid outfit.

White = Brings out.
Black = Hides.

Heh.. Heh... So in my 2010 outfit, the white on the collar brought out my face shape even more as well as the full apron that ultimately made me look bigger than I already was.
Basically, you don't want the attention drawn to places where you don't want it.

My 2011 outfit is much more complimenting of my figure considering the white and black balance are all in the right areas.
My apron attracts attention to my mid-section [smaller waist] and down, there is nothing ever wrong with a full a-line skirt on any body type.
The white fabric over my chest is also flattering cause well ... ahem i think you guys can figure out why.
Basically, the white should always draw attention away from your unwanted areas. Very Happy Plain and simple. [I hope...]

I can find more reference pictures if you'd girls like, but over all I hope this has helped at least some of you. Feel free to ask me questions!! <3

-Momo

Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/ledono
Amarin
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Aww that's so sweet you made this (': I'm sure it'll help someone out. ; w; I really like my uniform I have right now, but I wish the apron was shorter..maybe I can find a way to alter it without looking weird.. I wish the neckline on my uniform was lower too but i dont think i can fix it. ; n;

And hehe yes, your current uniform definitely shows dem assets (; Momo is always a hot badass to me. * q*<333
Back to top Go down
http://cosmicreverie.tumblr.com
Keiko
Maid Cafe Staff
Maid Cafe Staff

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Good post pointing out important thangs!!!! There are tons of good tips all up in this UvU I think it was important to point out the white/black balance in maid uniforms @__@ that's something I'm working on improving this year as well orz
Back to top Go down
http://nom-nom-keiko.tumblr.com
thuggdere
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:24 pm

^ w ^ Thanks guys just looking out for my girls and just want you all to look great and feel great in what you wear <3
Back to top Go down
thuggdere
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Asami wrote:
Aww that's so sweet you made this (': I'm sure it'll help someone out. ; w; I really like my uniform I have right now, but I wish the apron was shorter..maybe I can find a way to alter it without looking weird.. I wish the neckline on my uniform was lower too but i dont think i can fix it. ; n;

And hehe yes, your current uniform definitely shows dem assets (; Momo is always a hot badass to me. * q*<333

Also bb send me a pic of your maid outfit or just post it here, I can make some simple suggestions depending on how short you want your apron and how low you want your neckline to be c:
Back to top Go down
Ayumi
Maid Cafe Staff
Maid Cafe Staff

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:35 pm

dang Momo's got it down to a science.. a SCIENCE

hahaha.. i was wondering who "thuggdere" was, now i know Razz
Back to top Go down
thuggdere
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Ayumi wrote:
dang Momo's got it down to a science.. a SCIENCE

hahaha.. i was wondering who "thuggdere" was, now i know Razz

OOOH GURR YOU KNOW HOW AH DO. lol
Back to top Go down
Amarin
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:03 am

here's one with us<3 but yeah, most of the time the apron completely covers the black haha - w-

I don't think I'll actually alter it. xD It doesn't make me look bad, but just obscures stuff. Honestly, I just want the apron short enough to let the black of my dress peek through. > w>;; And the neckline isn't super super high, but I just wish it was a little lower. I don't think I could fix it even if I wanted to since I'm not good at it + the way it's sewn makes it tough looking. @ A@ So it's not actually worth it. xD
Back to top Go down
thuggdere
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:24 am

LOL dawwwww the Game Center pic <3 <3 <3 <3
That day was super fun.
:3

I agree though, the neckline should be fine the way it is. Although that apron is really starting to bother me. It just engulfs your entire body... like what the hell is the point in wearing the black dress beneath it if the apron is going to cover like 80% of the outfit e.e''''
The black to white ratio on your maid outfit is seriously... wtf man.

I would suggest [if you can] to get the length of the apron like the one in the picture.
Back to top Go down
Amarin
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:30 am

Haha...sorry my uniform is so ugly. yeah i dunno. i doubt i'll get a new apron since it's a one piece (and if i got a waist apron then the top half of me would be completely black..) but i was just hoping to somehow mod the apron to make it shorter and rounded more >":
Back to top Go down
thuggdere
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:34 am

Asami wrote:
Haha...sorry my uniform is so ugly. yeah i dunno. i doubt i'll get a new apron since it's a one piece (and if i got a waist apron then the top half of me would be completely black..) but i was just hoping to somehow mod the apron to make it shorter and rounded more >":
It's not ugly, there's just too much white >>'''
You could shorten it by cutting it at the waist band and just sew it back on from there.
Back to top Go down
Amarin
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:36 am

thuggdere wrote:
Asami wrote:
You could shorten it by cutting it at the waist band and just sew it back on from there.
ah yeah! you're right, totally do that ; AA; cuz i don't wanna touch the bottom at all since it has all the frills >.>
I may try it if I'm not too scared LOL T_T

maybe find someone to do it instead and just pay them since I'm no expert OTL
thanks for that tho omg. i never thought of that before. ima look at my apron stitching later to see how i'd go about this.
Back to top Go down
thuggdere
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:42 am

Asami wrote:
thuggdere wrote:
Asami wrote:
ah yeah! you're right, totally do that ; AA; cuz i don't wanna touch the bottom at all since it has all the frills >.>

thanks for that tho omg. i never thought of that before. ima look at my apron stitching later to see how i'd go about this.
c: np asami-chan <3
I wish you the best of luck with your apron dilemma haha
also if anything there's always stitch witch or velcro, clothes pins etc. etc. XD
Back to top Go down
Amarin
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:46 am

thuggdere wrote:
Asami wrote:
thuggdere wrote:
Asami wrote:

c: np asami-chan <3
I wish you the best of luck with your apron dilemma haha
also if anything there's always stitch witch or velcro, clothes pins etc. etc. XD
hehe thanks ^ q^ i might be lazy and just not change anything xD
though hopefully i will once i change up the colors in my uniform ^ q^
Back to top Go down
Chihiro
Head Maid
Head Maid

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:43 pm

thuggdere wrote:
LOL dawwwww the Game Center pic <3 <3 <3 <3
That day was super fun.
:3

I agree though, the neckline should be fine the way it is. Although that apron is really starting to bother me. It just engulfs your entire body... like what the hell is the point in wearing the black dress beneath it if the apron is going to cover like 80% of the outfit e.e''''
The black to white ratio on your maid outfit is seriously... wtf man.

* dressu *

I would suggest [if you can] to get the length of the apron like the one in the picture.
Omg i love the dress in this photo if my@home uniform doesn't work out I think I'll use this one c:< it had a very witchy feel
idk this is one of those times a uniform is calling out to me
finalllyyy
Back to top Go down
Izumi.Itzel
Maid Cafe Staff
Maid Cafe Staff

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 am

Hi Momo-chan,

Thanks for the post, I hadn't given much thought to my outfit until you posted this, and I wanted to know if you could give me some advice....I was planning to just use my maid outfit from last year, but modifying it a bit to look cuter but I'm still new to sewing so I was also thinking I might busy something...for someone who is top heavy (well heavy all around) what would you recommend, can I modify it or should I just go with something else...

If I get something else, I wanted to try something like this...:

Thanks =^.^=
Back to top Go down
Chihiro
Head Maid
Head Maid

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:28 am

^For starters, I'd say to deff get a smaller apron! That way the black will show more (which will make your body look smaller) because the extreme ruffles of the apron looks kinda whompy and unflattering >_<
Back to top Go down
thuggdere
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:49 am

Aw no problem Izumi-chan <3 I'm always here to help, and grrrrlll es duh latina in you es all gud. I'm top heavy and what not myself, haha.
Hm, if you do plan on keeping your previous maid outfit I would suggest to make a few minor changes.

Definitely go with Chihiro's advice about the smaller apron.
As you can see in my 2010 maid outfit I had a similar issue, because not only did the full body apron accentuate my figure even more but also since the top half BARELY covered my assets it just ... looked damn awkward.

One other issue I had with my 2010 Maid outfit was the high collar and I see that your outfit comes with a collar so in my opinion I would skip the collar and opt for a looser fit necklace of your choice :3

Also, whether you go for an outfit with a low neckline or keep the one you have now I'd say: *put your hair up*
Keep your side swept bangs [if you've still got em haha] as it flatters your heart shaped face <3
Also by putting your hair up you show off more of your sleek jaw line and it of course draws more attention to your neck and such.
***lower necklines + showing your neck and collarbone + hair up = instant slimming solutions.***

Another thing is I do hope your hair is still long because I think you'd look abso-freaking-lutely adorable with soft layered curls <3
Even better more so if you put your hair up in a high pony tail or messy bun :3333

Here's my suggestions for new maid outfits if you'd like:

Himemiya Like a Star @ heaven

Like a Star @ heaven COSTUME542

Hope this helps bby <3
Back to top Go down
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi thuggdere :B
Thanks for making this thread and the OP PEPTALK YEAAA! I'm filipino too!!! and not super fair-skinned either (I look super pale in my avatar bc of flash, etc etc)

I was wondering if you had any tips/info about shopping for dresses on ebay. I was browsing it today and I actually found a dress I really like! But I'm worried that it'll arrive and be made of some weird ass material. That seems like a good price to pay for a good dress, but it may arrive looking cheap anyway.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Girl-uniform-Cosplay-party-lolita-Costume-Sexy-Dress-Ruffle-Maid-Outfit-6-12-/221197070126?pt=US_Costumes&var=&hash=item33805f6f2e

The ebay listing says it's 100% cotton, but the description describes it as a "stretchy cotton blend," so I don't know how to feel about that. I emailed the seller for more info on fabric, but am not counting on getting a clear response.

Should I risk it? Can ebay pictures generally be trusted? Or should I only buy it if I'm prepared to have to scrap it and buy a better dress at the last minute?

Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
Kazuko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 pm

P-P-PENKO SAAN~ Embarassed

Well with Ebay its a 50/50 shot in the dark, sometimes they steal photos and sometimes they are the real deal, honestly I would look via google images for that photo if its been stolen or not. If anything you can also message the seller for actual photos for proof

as for it being stretchy cotton its probably 50% cotton and like 5% rayon or another blend material.

Its honestly up to you, I think a few girls have gotten their dresses on Ebay just fine, just be REALLY accurate of your measurements because if you are off most places dont offer a refund or exchange policy

If you dont feel ok with ebay you can consult bodyline since they have a lot of variety I know SarahPanda is still doing a group order on the forums. That or check out cosmates if you want to feel safe
Back to top Go down
Amarin
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:43 pm

@Penko: That one's cute! I saw it earlier too ; v;<333 Uhm looking at it, I'd say it's polyester (and for them to "tell the truth" maybe a small percentage of cotton somewhere..). >.> The kind that isn't bad, but has a slight sheen to it. It's more obvious in the pink/purple photos. And yeah, ebay is a hit or miss. I bought both my uniforms from ebay. One was like $20 and had a sheen like that one, and even though it looked okay on me, it was kind of restricting on my back and I couldn't move my arms fully. (It wasn't a huge deal since I could do basically everything normal, but still kinda sucked a bit) Plus I sweat in it way easier compared to cotton. @___@ (Like when you get cotton bedsheets vs polyester ones) I think it'd be fine though. Q AQ Also, you can always send a message to the seller asking them to show you a picture of the actual product. If the seller is cool, they will send you pics! I've done it a lot.

P.S. I just saw it had $10 shipping so that it'd be actually $40 total. Imo, you're better off getting a different uniform. You can get a cotton one that's as cute for $5~10 more that's comfortable and you won't quickly get sweaty in.
Back to top Go down
thuggdere
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 pm

LULZ OHAI THAR ADING <3

But nah forreal though, i bought my most recent maid outfit from ebay. i cant say whether it will be the same or not because it varies from the provider... sometimes these providers make the outfit themselves rather than order directly from the source... honestly i would buy from one of the many trusted sites such as cosmates.jp, bodyline yokoso (panda is doing a group order) or cosplayfu.

or maybe some of the girls on here can recommend places they got their ebay maid outfits from.

sorry i personally dont trust ebay all that much and risked my recent one, but at the same time i harrassrd them mofos with a thousand questions to make sure i was getting what was pictured. so i do suggest bombarding them with questions and DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR YOUR MONEY BACK if youre not satisfied.
Back to top Go down
Penko
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:00 am

Kazuko wrote:
P-P-PENKO SAAN~ Embarassed

Well with Ebay its a 50/50 shot in the dark, sometimes they steal photos and sometimes they are the real deal, honestly I would look via google images for that photo if its been stolen or not. If anything you can also message the seller for actual photos for proof

as for it being stretchy cotton its probably 50% cotton and like 5% rayon or another blend material.

Its honestly up to you, I think a few girls have gotten their dresses on Ebay just fine, just be REALLY accurate of your measurements because if you are off most places dont offer a refund or exchange policy

If you dont feel ok with ebay you can consult bodyline since they have a lot of variety I know SarahPanda is still doing a group order on the forums. That or check out cosmates if you want to feel safe

Thank you so much! I reverse image searched the product image and it's actually used a lot @___@ So I messaged them asking for more pics of the product. I even found another ebay seller with the same product pics LOL SIGH.

P.S. I just want you to know that my entire goal at Fanimaid Cafe was to get someone to call me P-P-PENKO SAN ;A; (in penguin voice!!!!) You've made my entire FanimeCon and it HASN'T EVEN HAPPENED YET!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH

Asapoo wrote:
@Penko: That one's cute! I saw it earlier too ; v;<333 Uhm looking at it, I'd say it's polyester (and for them to "tell the truth" maybe a small percentage of cotton somewhere..). >.> The kind that isn't bad, but has a slight sheen to it. It's more obvious in the pink/purple photos. And yeah, ebay is a hit or miss. I bought both my uniforms from ebay. One was like $20 and had a sheen like that one, and even though it looked okay on me, it was kind of restricting on my back and I couldn't move my arms fully. (It wasn't a huge deal since I could do basically everything normal, but still kinda sucked a bit) Plus I sweat in it way easier compared to cotton. @___@ (Like when you get cotton bedsheets vs polyester ones) I think it'd be fine though. Q AQ Also, you can always send a message to the seller asking them to show you a picture of the actual product. If the seller is cool, they will send you pics! I've done it a lot.

P.S. I just saw it had $10 shipping so that it'd be actually $40 total. Imo, you're better off getting a different uniform. You can get a cotton one that's as cute for $5~10 more that's comfortable and you won't quickly get sweaty in.

Thank you too! I agree, the pink/purple ones do look shiny.. One seller got back to me about fabric and said it was actually 100% polyester and the description was wrong @___@ Definitely super fishy, lol.
I found another seller that is selling it even cheaper (~$30 after shipping) but I'm waiting on them to give me more photos. Thanks to you and everyone for the tip about asking them for photos!!

thuggdere wrote:
LULZ OHAI THAR ADING <3

But nah forreal though, i bought my most recent maid outfit from ebay. i cant say whether it will be the same or not because it varies from the provider... sometimes these providers make the outfit themselves rather than order directly from the source... honestly i would buy from one of the many trusted sites such as cosmates.jp, bodyline yokoso (panda is doing a group order) or cosplayfu.

or maybe some of the girls on here can recommend places they got their ebay maid outfits from.

sorry i personally dont trust ebay all that much and risked my recent one, but at the same time i harrassrd them mofos with a thousand questions to make sure i was getting what was pictured. so i do suggest bombarding them with questions and DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR YOUR MONEY BACK if youre not satisfied.

Thank you for TEEPS! After all the nonsense, I think I may end up getting my dress somewhere more reputable. It sucks cause I really liked that one!

There is a chance I'll still order it though, just cause I like it so much ;A; if I do and it turns out weak, I'll definitely bully them for my money back loool. I think I could prolly be assy and give some sort of complaint, since it's listed as 100% cotton but is obviously not.

Thank you all so much! I will keep looking/asking.

Back to top Go down
Amarin
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:09 am

Ah-! Then definitely ask the other seller too! You can bet both sellers get their uniforms made at the same manufacturer since ebay isn't flooded with this style..so best to ask both questions. ^ q^ That uniform is probably made of the same material my other uniform that I linked is made of! It's a pretty sheen, not the cheapo fabric looking kind. - w-b But yeah, it'd be great if you could get the ~$30 one. <: My uniform that I'm wearing is the same style as the one you'll get except I have a full length apron! I really want an apron like the one on yours.

also on a sidenote, fuckkkkkk i really want to alter my apron the way momo suggested but omg it's sewed in a way that i can't just cut it off and sew it on shorter. it'd have a super thick band and stuff T-T idk if it'd work):
Back to top Go down
Keiko
Maid Cafe Staff
Maid Cafe Staff

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 am

If hem the bottom of your apron and you find that folding it wont make a pretty edge for you, you can also consider hiding the edge with a colored border? A 1-2 in wide border on the edge with a matching 1-2 in wide stripe sewn 2 in above it could look really fashionable, and would supplement some color as well as hide your edges :3
Back to top Go down
http://nom-nom-keiko.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:   

Back to top Go down

Just some tips for finding your favorite Maid Outfit c:
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next