Fanimaids Only BBS

Where official maids of Fanimaid Cafe discuss and mingle.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Advice for learning dances?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Amarin
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Advice for learning dances?   Fri May 18, 2012 11:59 am

I was wondering if any of you could give advice when learning dances? ; A;

I find myself crippled by the video even though I learn them in 30 second increments. xD;;
And, any advice on form? Like when I do the opening dance, I feel like I look really stupid and not super adorable like Tiff and Ami in their video. @ m@
Back to top Go down
http://cosmicreverie.tumblr.com
CrackPr0n
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Advice for learning dances?   Fri May 18, 2012 12:10 pm

/me puts on his douchebag sunglasses and producer jacket.

I've been talking to Jeanette a bunch about this. The two big things are, the natural movements you make and how wide your motions are.

When you're learning dances early on you over think the movements so you move stuff and compact. Tiffany had this problem early on during parts she didn't know. You have to think of every movement as a whole dance. When learning you break it down into individual moves. That's fine but as you get more comfortable you need to change your mentality into 1 dance not 20 individual moves. When you break it down there's transitional phased that are apparent that make each move look like... Each move causing the dance to not flow correctly.

Other things to keep in mind are your expression and where you look. Smiling where you look and how you express your eyes can drastically change the over all feel of the dance.

Upload a video and I'll critique it for you and give you ideas in how to improve. I'll try not to be too mean.
Back to top Go down
Amarin
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Advice for learning dances?   Fri May 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks Mikey! @ A@
Yeah, I dunno..I mean I didn't break it down into a bunch of individual moves..just kept practicing like 30 seconds worth (or ending where there was some kind of pose or so) so that it would flow well D': But at the same time yeah it's liejgdfkljgs LOL OTL; I guess the best thing I can do is upload a video and actually show you so maybe you can see why I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. @__@

Be as mean as possible. >: I'd rather be bashed on by you ahead of time than look stupid in front of everyone on Stage Zero. :D/SHOT
Back to top Go down
http://cosmicreverie.tumblr.com
CrackPr0n
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Advice for learning dances?   Fri May 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Btw the critique thing is extended to everyone.
Back to top Go down
TiffanyF
Maid Cafe Staff
Maid Cafe Staff

PostSubject: Re: Advice for learning dances?   Fri May 18, 2012 4:31 pm

...heheh... I'll be all pro like even though I'm not so pro and be like "Yes, I'm a performance guru with Ami...."

The gist of it is, same as what Mikey said.

You have to make everything flow and you dont' have to concentrate so much on the moves. Of course you have to make them look good but you have to enjoy the dance itself! The expression ultimately makes it look good or not. If you put derpy expressions like me when I'm unsure, then you look horrible, when you are smiling and making it look easy, it looks great. Lipsynching also helps since if you just look blank it doesn't look as good.

The movements however look better if its bigger (not too big of course but big enough) and if its sharp. You have to also stop right when you're about to, not wobble around, etc. Another thing is arms and hands. Having kind of straight but kind of bent arms doesn't look good so you have to make sure you're not doing some weird in between move. Hands as well, opening them all wide looks childish (unless thats the effect you want) but having them elegant or proper, not all stuck together like a mitten but generally not all spread out looks better.

As for learning the dance itself, I always go through the dance and just repeatedly watch it over and over again. Then I start with my arms and hands or the upper body and then learn the lower body later on. (depending on the dance I'll do the opposite or I'll learn both at once) Slow it down if you need to but don't slow all of it down since you'll end up learning it at slow speed and regular speed will seem too fast.

Theres probably more depending on how you dance or what you're dancing but thats the basics that I have learned from both my mistakes and other people's mistakes in the past. I'm not really a real pro dancer so its not the best advice but we're not all trying to be professional dancers anyways XD
Back to top Go down
http://com.nicovideo.jp/community/co370509
Kira-chan
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Advice for learning dances?   Sat May 19, 2012 12:27 am

CrackPr0n wrote:
/me puts on his douchebag sunglasses and producer jacket.

I've been talking to Jeanette a bunch about this. The two big things are, the natural movements you make and how wide your motions are.

When you're learning dances early on you over think the movements so you move stuff and compact. Tiffany had this problem early on during parts she didn't know. You have to think of every movement as a whole dance. When learning you break it down into individual moves. That's fine but as you get more comfortable you need to change your mentality into 1 dance not 20 individual moves. When you break it down there's transitional phased that are apparent that make each move look like... Each move causing the dance to not flow correctly.

Other things to keep in mind are your expression and where you look. Smiling where you look and how you express your eyes can drastically change the over all feel of the dance.

Upload a video and I'll critique it for you and give you ideas in how to improve. I'll try not to be too mean.

your not too mean, it def help other wise we wouldnt be able to improve, thank you for taking the time to help us out!! :3
Back to top Go down
Ayumi
Maid Cafe Staff
Maid Cafe Staff

PostSubject: Re: Advice for learning dances?   Sat May 19, 2012 12:53 am

Don't worry Asami, you're not the only one-- it takes me 30 minutes to learn 30 seconds. = ='
Back to top Go down
CrackPr0n
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Advice for learning dances?   Sat May 19, 2012 1:34 am

Kira-chan wrote:

your not too mean, it def help other wise we wouldnt be able to improve, thank you for taking the time to help us out!! :3

Oh, I'm really nice to you guys. I'm mean to Erouto.
Back to top Go down
TiffanyF
Maid Cafe Staff
Maid Cafe Staff

PostSubject: Re: Advice for learning dances?   Sat May 19, 2012 3:20 am

Its true, hes really nice to you guys... he actually compliments you all. Most of the time he shakes his head and says that I suck at the dance but then tells me so many things I need to fix (which of course is good to hear) so it really does help. Although most of the time he says that my dancing is "ok" and then I feel bad and feel the need to improve more...

Best way to improve though is harsh critique. XD
Back to top Go down
http://com.nicovideo.jp/community/co370509
Kira-chan
Meidosan
Meidosan

PostSubject: Re: Advice for learning dances?   Sat May 19, 2012 12:44 pm

CrackPr0n wrote:
Kira-chan wrote:

Oh, I'm really nice to you guys. I'm mean to Erouto.

well then i guess that means we need to work a lot harder then huh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice for learning dances?   

Back to top Go down

Advice for learning dances?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1